History


The predecessor of the University in Sopron was a Mining School founded by King Charles III in Selmecbánya in 1735 and was raised to the rank of an academy by Queen Maria Theresa in 1770. It became famous as the Mining Academy. The Court’s Mint decided to establish the Forestry School in 1807 and after the education reform in 1846, the school became The Mining and Forestry Academy. In 1919 Selmecbánya became part of the newly established Czechoslovakia. The academy was re-established in Sopron as the Royal Hungarian College of Mining and Forestry. The College of Forest Engineering became independent in 1952. The University of Forestry and Wood Sciences was established in 1962, including Faculty of Forest Engineering, Faculty of Wood Sciences and in 1972 the College Faculty of Land Surveying and Mapping in Székesfehérvár. Between 1996 and 1999 the official name of the university was University of Sopron.


Financial Palace, 1925

The teaching of economics was started in Sopron in 1995 as a correspondence training, while the first full time training in 1996. In the autumn of 1998 a supplementary course for students with college degree of economics was also launched. After the successful accreditation process, the Faculty of Economics was established on the 1st January 2000. Since then, the Faculty has offered postgaduate courses as well, and since 2002 higher-level vocational training courses have been also available. The Doctoral School of the Faculty became accredited in September 2001, today doctoral degree and habilitation can be earned at the University.


Faculty of Economics, 2003

The University of West Hungary considers itself as "green university”, reflecting its aim to develop skills to preserve and improve ecologically, economically and socially adaptable methods that guarantee sustainable development of life-quality for every living creature. As a result of a merger of the University of West Hungary and Berzsenyi Dániel College (Szombathely) on 1st January 2008, the University of West Hungary has now 8 faculties:
  • Faculty of Forest Engineering (Sopron),
  • The Simonyi Károly Faculty of Engineering, Wood Sciences and Applied Arts (Sopron),
  • Faculty of Economics (Sopron)
  • Berzsenyi Dániel Faculty of Pedagogy (Szombathely),
  • Benedek Elek Faculty of Pedagogy (Sopron),
  • Apáczai Csere János Faculty of Teachers’ Training (Győr),
  • Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences (Mosonmagyaróvár),
  • Faculty of Natural Sciences (Szombathely).